Saturday, January 30, 2010

Vampire Weekend


 
Vampire Weekend at Webster Hall on 1/18/2010

Last year I went to Webster Hall with my older brother, Brian, to see Nikka Costa perform.  It was a great show, showcasing the tunes of some legitimately talented musicians.   The venue complimented their style of music: funky tunes with a groovable bass line and soulful vocals. When I walked into Webster Hall a couple Mondays ago with my friend Japhet (who I am now indebted to for turning me into a true VW fan), I had positive memories of the Nikka Costa show and was wondering how a band like Vampire Weekend--more alternative, indie rock--would fare in Webster Hall.  

They rocked it.  Webster Hall may not have been the most perfect venue for Vampire Weekend (whose name, by the way, has nothing to do with the recent vampire craze), but they still managed to convert me from a sporadic listener to a fan.  I got their newest album, Contra, as soon as I could and now have a playlist devoted to them.  

And the drummer, Chris Tomson, is really hot.  Had to throw that in.