Monday, January 18, 2010

Banh Mi...Gimme, gimme!!


I had heard all about banh mi, the Vietnamese baguette that has become a favorite among NYC foodies (especially those of us who appreciate a standout cheap eat), but I had yet to try it.  The Vietnamese population in New York City is not as prominent as in Houston, Washington, and certain hubs in California, so it took a little while for this trend to make its name known here.

A big question needed to be answered: where should my first banh mi (pronounced BUN-mee) experience be?  I decided on Baoguette on St. Marks. Yes, I have heard great things about Baoguette, but I must admit that the reason I patronized this particular spot was because I was starving when I got out of yoga and Baoguette was conveniently across the street.   My grumbling stomach decided without hesitation.  Forget reviews, I was ravenous.

Never heard of banh mi? Let me quote an article from the New York Times, "If you haven’t tried a classic banh mi, imagine all the cool, salty, crunchy, moist and hot contrasts of a really great bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich. Then add a funky undertone of pork liver and fermented anchovy, a gust of fresh coriander and screaming top notes of spice, sweetness and tang."

Yeah.  Are you salivating yet?  The banh mi I had was surprisingly excellent, with pork terine, pate, pulled pork, and fresh herbs.  (It was huge, for a mere $5!)  If you want to try this delicious flavor combination but are put off by the meat situation happening between the buns, I have heard that they also offer the Vaoguette, a vegetarian take on the classic banh mi. 

Some time I may venture out to Queens or Sunset Park in Brooklyn, for a more authentic (defined by the fact that Baoguette is an NYC chain restaurant) experience.  In the mean time, Baoguette will more than suffice.